Re: Diesel aircraft engines

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         18 Aug 96 20:13:37

Richard N. Rea wrote:

> >The Hindenburg (and I think the other Zepplins) had diesel  engines
> >specifically designed for aviation uses.
>
> My source reported that the Zepplins used "Blaugas", which accounted for about
> one-third the total gas volume.  They were V-12's.

I seem to remember both Maybach and Daimler-Benz diesels being used.

Weight was a minor consideration in Zeppelins, unlike fixed-wing A/C. I
imagine any industrial diesel of the correct RPM and power rating would
make a satisfactory Zeppelin powerplant with minimal modifications. Not
so for a fixed-wing installation!

--
Steve Lacker	/	Applied Research Laboratories, The University of Texas
512-835-3286	/	PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029