Re: Diesel aircraft engines

From:         gfoley@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Gerard Foley)
Date:         18 Aug 96 20:13:36
Followups:    1 2 3 4

Richard N. Rea (rrea@caedm.et.byu.edu) wrote:
: In article <airliners.1996.1638@ohare.Chicago.COM> Neil Bolger <urbanpre@portal.ca> writes:

: >The Hindenburg (and I think the other Zepplins) had diesel  engines
: >specifically designed for aviation uses.

: My source reported that the Zepplins used "Blaugas", which accounted for about
: one-third the total gas volume.  They were V-12's.

  The first thought is to ask why not the hydrogen.  The second thought is
that they might have hoped for helium sometime if the political situation
cooled or they won the war.  The third thought is could Graf Zeppelin and
and Hindenburg float with helium?

  The Germans, of course, built the only rigid dirigibles (save one,
R101) did not suffer an inflight structural failure.  The Los
Angeles flew ok with helium, but maybe it was designed for it.

  If people on the thread don't remember, Nevile Shute (Norway)
was one of the design team for R101 and in a book on it insisted
it was done right.  It didn't have much chance to prove it.

  I went to Lakehurst to see the arrival of the Graf Zeppelin on its
first transatlantic crossing.  What a traffic jam there was getting
back to Philadelphia that evening!

--
Gerry