Re: MD-80: Lawn Dart or Efficient Design?

From:         Stefano Pagiola <spagiola@worldbank.org>
Date:         18 Aug 96 20:13:35

Robert Dorsett wrote:
> >Before the two recent 757 crashes, the MD-80 was second in safety.
>                 ^^^^^^ only
> >It must be in first place now.
>
> Definitely.  Once one throws out the two crashes during the
> flight-test program.  And the crash in Argentina.  And the NWA crash
> at Detroit.  And the SAS crash in Sweden.  Oh, and the CAL RTO crash
> at La Guardia...
>
> Apologies if I missed any.

There was an Inex Adria CFIT crash in Corsica very early on (1981 or so)
and an Alitalia crash near Zurich (also CFIT, as I recall) a few years
ago.

To be fair, several of the accidents above resulted in no or little loss
of life (SAS, CO).  And the flight-test "crashes" were more in the order
of hard landings.

I'm not familiar with any MD-80 crash in Argentina.  Can you supply
details? (Airline, date, location, cause, fatalities?)

In terms of hull losses, we should also add to the 757's ledger one loss
in China (when a hijacked 737 flew into a parked 757).

So in terms of hull losses, the MD-80 is indeed still ahead.  How does it
work out in terms of fatalities?  Those 757s were pretty full...

Stefano