Re: MD-80: Lawn Dart or Efficient Design?

From:         "David G. Davidson" <gerhard@onramp.net>
Date:         18 Aug 96 20:13:35

An aside to the Lawn Dart thread.

>On the DC-10, the exhaust is also at the back of the aircraft, but
>pointed down at about a 45 degree angle.  Every time a person walks
>around the back of the aircraft, they are going to be hit by a blast of
>hot air from the APU.

This is that same as the L-1011 installation. The difference is that the
L-1011 APU (which is a derivative of the PT-6) is much louder and seems
to blow much hotter air than the DC-10 (which I think is a Garret unit).

Points to the DC-10 for this, but I still won't fly on one if I don't
have to.

Dave

http://rampages.onramp.net/~gerhard/tristar