Re: MD-80: Lawn Dart or Efficient Design?

From:         johnmhunt@ipa.net (John M. Hunt)
Date:         18 Aug 96 20:13:35

>I've had MD-80 pilots for an airline that will remain nameless say that
>under certain c/g conditions, they run out of elevator up-trim on final
>approach.  As a result, they have to physically horse the nose up for the
>flare, such as it is.

Interesting.  Have you heard any similar stories of inadequate
nose-down available trim?

I wonder if the MD-80 designers might have been thinking about the
possible installation of more modern engines such as the CFM family or
the V2500.  I don't have any numbers in front of me but imagine these
more efficient engines weigh more than the JT8D-217 and its close
relatives?

By the way, keep up the excellent work represented by your very
informative posts.
-
-
John M. Hunt