From:         Jennings Heilig <jheilig@gate.net>
Date:         11 Aug 96 00:03:58
Followups:    1 2 3

I've got articles from the 1966-1970 period which use virtually the
exact same wording you've used in arguing the future of the 747.
Hardly anyone thought the 747 would be built in anything like the
numbers it has, and I'll wager that no one would have guessed it would
still be in production at the turn of the century and beyond.

I know there are vast differences in the arguments, and that the
situation in the world has changed dramatically since 1966, but my
guess is that you'll see Boeing forge ahead with the stretched 747s in
the not too distant future.  Not so sure about Airbus, as I don't
think they're in the position Boeing is to launch another product
right now.  While the new 747 variants are certainly going to be
different airplanes from current versions, the Airbus proposal for the
A3XX will be a new airplane from the ground up (if I understand
correctly).  While the guts may be different in the Boeing design, a
fair amount of the nuts and bolt engineering is already done and paid
for.

Just my $.02...

Jennings Heilig