Re: 777 drogue chute on tail

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         08 Feb 96 03:21:05

In article <airliners.1996.126@ohare.Chicago.COM>, iandhhs@cadvision.com wrote:

> In viewing a recent re-run of '21st Century Jet' which highlighted
> the 777 I noted that during ground trials and the initial flight
> the following. At the top of the fin there was what appeared to be
> a small parachute drogue on a line some 10 to 20 metrs in length.
> Difficult to determine the exact size as scale on the 777 is hard
> to establish.

That is not a drogue chute, but a stabilizing cone for the trailing static
pressure line.  In flight, the line is let out to provide a static
pressure source far from from the influence of turbulent air around the
airplane. There was also a trailing wire that extended from the tailcone
on WA001.

C. Marin Faure
author, Flying A Floatplane