From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         08 Aug 96 12:11:55

In article <airliners.1996.1563@ohare.Chicago.COM>, brians368@aol.com
(Brian S368) wrote:

> What about the much-publicized fold up wing design optioned on the 777?
> It is already in use with military jet (to save room on aircraft carriers,
> I think).  I don't think it has been ordered by any 777 purchaser (too
> much extra $, unneeded?). The fold up wing would seem to solve the
> problem.

The fold-up wing was a dud.  The only airline that wanted it was American
so they could fit the plane into the same gates they use for the smaller
planes in their fleet.  So Boeing designed and mocked-up a folding wing,
at considerable expense, I might add. The irony is that American, after
demanding we design a folding wing, didn't buy the plane.  No other
airline has expressed any interest in the folding option at all.  It's
very heavy, and requires additional wiring and plumbing to operate.
Obviously, the airlines would much rather carry weight that pays its own
way than weight that just sits there.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane