Re: over-automation with glass cockpits

From:         Neil Bolger <urbanpre@portal.ca>
Date:         08 Aug 96 12:11:48

MikeM727 wrote:
> >The Airbus has a safety feature that only allows a pilot to pull the
> >maximum g-limit of the airplane- no more. Why would you want to
> >overstress the airframe?
>
> What if a situation arises where the only way out requires overstressing
> the airplane?  This could be recovery from unusual attitudes, or evasive
> action to avoid traffic or terrain.  There have been accidents where the
> the airframe was overstressed in order to recover.  For certification, the
> airframe must withstand 150% of published G-limits without failure.
> Someday that extra 50% percent may be needed.  From what I've read, Airbus
> FBW doesn't give you that option, even in direct law.  I don't know about
> Boeing's FBW.

What about a stall?  Do you ever want to stall a large commercial
airliner other than during initial flight tests?  I would think it
would be highly beneficial to never be able to stall a plane but to go
right to the maximum angle of attack, and to have the computer advance
the throttles, etc.  What do you experienced people have to say about
this?  Are there any other situations where you would always want the
computer to stop you?

Neil Bolger
http://www2.portal.ca/~urbanpre/airneil.html