A/C Nicknames (was Re: Boeing Pronunciation)

From:         ehahn@mallard.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         05 Aug 96 23:32:58

In article <airliners.1996.1585@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

>> Now I have a question in a similar vein: Is it an Em Dee Eleven?

ks> At the risk of opening a huge new can of worms, that's what I call
ks> it when I don't refer to it as a Mad Dog.  (I call the DC-10 the

Some mechanic associates of mine call it (MD11) a "Scud", because you
never know where it's going to land (it acquired this name during the
introduction to service, which had the standard "teething" problems.)

Lest anyone accuse me of Douglas bashing, I happen to prefer the
DC10/MD11 for widebody travel as a passenger.  If feels less cramped,
to me, especially if you're travelling as a party of two, and you get
one of the window/aisle pairs.  Ditto for the 2 seat side of the
DC9/MD80.

Not that I would pass up Row 17 on a UA B757 for either of these...

<snip>

ks> non-Boeing planes, I call the older 747s, with the original three
ks> window configuration of the upper deck, Three Holers, and don't
ks> view them with very much more enthusiasm than a similarly named
ks> outhouse. :-) )

That's interesting - I've heard "Three Holer" refer to the B727, for
obvious reasons.

ed

--------   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   --------