Re: Procedure after Engine Fire Warning

From:         jdk@apk.net (John Knopp)
Date:         05 Aug 96 23:32:57

GWilson404@aol.com wrote:

>As a practicing aeronautical engineer I am debating with my Operations
>colleagues the correct procedure in response to an Engine Fire Warning if the
>warning goes away prior to shutting the engine down. My view would be that
>you shut down anyway and isolate fuel, hydraulics etc. My pilot friends say
>if the warning goes away at idle it was just a hot gas leak and they would
>continue with that engine at idle. Any views?

Your friends in Ops are correct:  We are trained to continue operation
of the engine at idle (or below whatever throttle setting the warning
stopped) if the warning ceases prior to shutdown.  An engine at idle
can still produce enough RPM for a hydraulic pump as well as providing
air for the pressurization system.

-
John Knopp
jdk@apk.net