Re: Subsidies ...

From:         rna@gsb-crown.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         08 Feb 96 03:21:02

Jean-Francois Bosc <bosc@perige.eis.enac.dgac.fr> wrote:
>I've read comments about European subsidies a few times recently.
>All the same kind (unacceptable government interference with
>free economy).
>
>However, living in a country where opinions are biased the other
>way, I've heard and read many times that the only difference
>between government subsidies in Europe and the US is that
>European ones are called subsidies ...
>
>Any comment ?

Then you had better say what they are called in the US.  We have
to be able to call it something, if it exists.

As an aside, there are subsidies in parts of the US industrial
system, or at least special tax treatments.  A figure I have heard
is about $70 billion/year.  Add to this agricultural subsidies
(which are well-known, and large, but still only half the level
of the European CAP).  None of these, to my knowledge, are specific
to the commercial aviation market.

If you sin yourself it is very nice to be able to say that everyone
else does it too.  Still, it would be nice if those who say that
other do it too would identify exactly how, so that there was more
to debate than a vague accusation.

RNA