Re: A brief commentary: vertigo and COPA 201

From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)
Date:         05 Aug 96 04:21:21

In <airliners.1996.1579@ohare.Chicago.COM> ABrowne@mtl.marconi.ca (Alan
Browne) writes:

>A B-737 in Latin America took off one night and sometime after reaching
>cruise suddenly rolled off and then spiraled into the jungle.
>It was later determined that the VG channel had failed.  Also both the
>captain and FO were tied to the same VG, because one of the VG's was TU.
>So as the reference VG failed and the ADI roled over, the pilot counter
>rolled to remain level.  ...to no avail, so roll even harder...soon they
>were in a spiral and never recovered.

You are obviously referring to COPA flight 201 in 1992, the topic of
the PBS Nova special "The Mysterious Crash of Flight 201.  It is
available on videotape from PBS for about $25, and well worth it if you
have interest in the topic.

Yes, it could have been a failed vertical gyro, but since the CVR was
inoperative, we can't be sure.  This crash kind of falls in line with
the unexplained UAL 737-200 at Colorado and USAir 737-300 at Pitt.

RD