Re: A brief commentary

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         05 Aug 96 04:21:20

In article <airliners.1996.1578@ohare.Chicago.COM> bareynol@cca.rockwell.com (Brian A. Reynolds) writes:
>>Aaah, but how do you know that your attitude indicator is not faulty?
>>What if the various attitude indicators on board also didn't agree?
>>See the problem? They have to identify which instruments they can
>>trust.
>
>It is also worth while to remember that FAR Part 25 requires a complete
>set of Standby Instruments which are totally independent of the
>'normal' displays.

I'm not sure of that, and, in fact, standby instrumentation on most aircraft
use pitot/static sources which are part of a common pitot/static system.
I.e., not "independent" in the sense that, say, two hydraulic systems are
independent.

See Peter Ladkin's web page for a description of the 757 pitot-static
system (don't have the URL handy, but I'm sure it can  found via
www.chicago.com).

R.