Re: Boeing Pronunciation

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         05 Aug 96 04:21:19

> In article <airliners.1996.1483@ohare.Chicago.COM> Pete Mellor
<pm@csr.city.ac.uk> writes:

> > After having assumed for a long time that the 777 was "seven-seven-seven",
> > since 747 is "seven-four-seven", etc., I am trying to mend my ways now
> > that I have been specifically told by numerous people within Boeing and
> > by people in the UK who have been involved in the 777 programme that
> > *nobody* *ever* says *anything* other than "triple-seven".

This is incorrect.  It's true that we almost always refer to the airplane
as the "triple seven," but that doesn't change the fact that the airplane
is officially called the "seven-seven-seven."  Some of our executives make
the effort to use the "proper" name in speeches and others don't.  I know
a lot of people, particularly in our communications, marketing, and public
relations departments that always call the plane the "seven-seven-seven."
There is no penalty for calling the plane the triple seven, but its
official designator is "seven-seven-seven."

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane