Re: MD-88 Tail Cone (Delta)

From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)
Date:         04 Aug 96 16:44:58

In <airliners.1996.1434@ohare.Chicago.COM> mohica@ix.netcom.com
(William L. Thomas) writes:

>Regarding the tail cones....I've noticed some like those on Alaskan
>Airlines are flattened wedges, others are actual cones. What is the
>advantage of one over another?

All MD-80 series built since about 1987 have the "beaver" tail.  I was
told that it reduces drag, but I don't know by how much.  The plane is
already tail heavy, and it is hollow, so ballast can't be the reason.

I leave for LAX in half an hour to catch an Alaska Airlines MD-83
non-stop to Anchorage.  I will be taking the milk run back from ANC to
SEAttle, with stops in:  Juneau, Wrangell, St. ???, and Ketchikan.  It
is supposed to be very scenic in good wx.

RD