Procedure after Engine Fire Warning

From:         GWilson404@aol.com
Date:         04 Aug 96 16:44:56
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

As a practicing aeronautical engineer I am debating with my Operations
colleagues the correct procedure in response to an Engine Fire Warning if the
warning goes away prior to shutting the engine down. My view would be that
you shut down anyway and isolate fuel, hydraulics etc. My pilot friends say
if the warning goes away at idle it was just a hot gas leak and they would
continue with that engine at idle. Any views?

Does it make a difference how many engines you have? Is there a normal
practice in the civil field? My background is in the fast jet military field,
but in this case we are talking about a medium size tactical reconnaisance
aircraft.

Also can anyone tell me about normal practice with respect to high pressure
air pipes from a tail APU to engine starters. What precautions are taken on
civil aircraft against hot gas leaks(220 degC,430degF)? Leak detection wire?
Double walled pipes? Are assisted relights of engines allowed in flight or
only windmill?

Thanks for any info.

Gerald Wilson.