Re: Diesel aircraft engines

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         04 Aug 96 16:44:54

In article <airliners.1996.1526@ohare.Chicago.COM>, l.a.ram@ix.netcom.com
(Louis A. Ramsay ) wrote:

>      When I had Aircraft Engine shop in High School (1948-1950), we had
> a set of drawings of a radial diesel aircraft engine.  Can't remember
> for certain, but I think the engine had been designed, and possibly
> built, by Packard.  One of the instructors told us two of the engines
> had been mounted on either a Beech D-18 or a Lockheed Lodestar.

Packard did indeed build a radial diesel engine for aircraft use.  I have
a book somewhere with photos and drawings of the engine.  It looked like a
"normal" radial.  However, the book states that it was too heavy for its
power output to be useful, and was never put into production.  I don't
know if it was ever mounted on an airplane, but I assume it must have been
in order to determine its performance and practicality.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane