Re: 747SP Wing

From:         "Simon M. Ellwood" <cv990.demon.co.uk@cv990.demon.co.uk>
Date:         06 Feb 96 14:15:49

In article <airliners.1996.100@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Jonathan Eckstein
<jeckstei@rutcor.rutgers.edu> writes

>Do any of you Boeing experts out there know why the wing of the 747SP
>lacks the trailing edge fairings that you see on all other 747's?  Do
>the flaps work differently?

  The flaps on the SP do not move out on tracks, as they do for the
standard 747 (and most other airliners), but utilise a method of
swinging pivots. When retracted, these rods/pivots occupy much less
vertical space and thus the large flairings of the 747 are not needed.
I believe these were adopted because the complex tripple slotted flaps
of the standard 747 were not considered necessary for the lower landing
weights of the SP.

  Simon