Re: TWA flight 800 and the missile theory

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         31 Jul 96 12:29:44

In article <airliners.1996.1481@ohare.Chicago.COM> wayneday@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Dwayne Allen Day) writes:
>experience.  That is one reason why catastrophic failure has not been
>ruled out, but is considered unlikely--such a totally sudden catastrophic
>failure has never been experienced with the 747 before, so it seems
>unlikely.

- JAL 747-SR aft bulkhead failure.
- Iranian Imperial Air Force wing loss following lightning strike
- El Al multiple catastrophic engine failure and subsequent damage causing
  severe control problems.

I'm only familiar with three accidents in which bombings have caused a jet
transport to crash: a TWA 707 over the Ionian Sea in the early 1970s; the
Pan Am crash; the Air India 747 over the Atlantic which nobody talks about.
There have many, many instances in which airplanes have been
blown up on the ground in an act of petulance (once the media accomodates
by setting up its cameras, of course :-)).

Now, if the crash investigation starts to focus on its job rather than
play media games, perhaps we'll eventually come up with an answer to *this*
one.  Does anyone else find it incomprehensible that, with the likelihood a
bomber is on the loose, body recovery is being made the #1 priority of the
investigation team, apparently in a concession to media pressure, opportun-
istic politicians, and grieving victims' families?

I originally got the impression this was for forensic reasons, but the
combination of statements from the NTSB and third parties over the last
two days seems to suggest that they're under extreme pressure to do it for
humanitarian reasons.

All I'll note is that if it happened once, it could happen again.  The
third parties should butt out and let the NTSB and FBI do their jobs,
unfettered.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av