McDonnell Douglas Blended Wing Transport

From:         Jennings Heilig <jheilig@gate.net>
Date:         31 Jul 96 12:29:44

While visiting the model shop at NASA Langley Research Center recently,
they were working on a wind tunnel model of a proposed McDD blended
wing/body transport.  When I asked about the scale of the model, they said
it was designed to seat 800+ pax.  If that's the case, then this thing
will be about the size of a whole fleet of 747-400s (wingspan wise), and
will have three engines each about the diameter of a 747 fuselage.

Anyone know anything about this aircraft?  It had a very manta ray type
shape, and was quite asthetically pleasing.  It reminded me of some of the
early artist's conceptions of what a stealth bomber might look like (but
didn't end up being correct in the end..).

Just curious..

Jennings Heilig