Re: over-automation with glass cockpits

From:         mikem727@aol.com (MikeM727)
Date:         31 Jul 96 12:29:43
Followups:    1 2 3 4

In article <airliners.1996.1454@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Rob Tremblay
<dfens@netaccess.on.ca> writes:

>The Airbus has a safety feature that only allows a pilot to pull the
>maximum g-limit of the airplane- no more. Why would you want to
>overstress the airframe?

What if a situation arises where the only way out requires overstressing
the airplane?  This could be recovery from unusual attitudes, or evasive
action to avoid traffic or terrain.  There have been accidents where the
the airframe was overstressed in order to recover.  For certification, the
airframe must withstand 150% of published G-limits without failure.
Someday that extra 50% percent may be needed.  From what I've read, Airbus
FBW doesn't give you that option, even in direct law.  I don't know about
Boeing's FBW.

Mike,
ATP/FE, Boeing 727
Props are for boats!