Re: Diesel aircraft engines

From:         l.a.ram@ix.netcom.com (Louis A. Ramsay )
Date:         31 Jul 96 12:29:43
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

In <airliners.1996.1498@ohare.Chicago.COM> falke@pweh.com ( 0
Falke_Charlie phone dist ) writes:

>Yup.  There were some German Diesel engined patrol seaplanes during
>WWII.  There are some intrigueing turbodiesels running in R&D
>environments here and there.  I think if product liability gets
>cleaned up the rest of the way, you might see a lot more work along
>those lines.

     When I had Aircraft Engine shop in High School (1948-1950), we had
a set of drawings of a radial diesel aircraft engine.  Can't remember
for certain, but I think the engine had been designed, and possibly
built, by Packard.  One of the instructors told us two of the engines
had been mounted on either a Beech D-18 or a Lockheed Lodestar.

     Next time I get back to the school, I'll ask one of the "Aero"
instructors if the drawings are still around and try to get some
photos.

     Regards,

     Lou.