Trident 3B

From:         BMADDISO@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca
Date:         31 Jul 96 12:29:43

"David K. Cornutt" <cornutt@hiwaay.net> writes:

>I have a reference that mentions that one version of the
>De Havilland Trident was built with two different types of
>engines.  (The Trident was a three-engined plane configured
>the same as a 727.)  Apparently, De Havilland wanted to
>create a version with higher takeoff weights, so they took
>the Trident Three, which used RR Spey engines, and perched
>a fourth "booster" engine on top of the center engine,
>drawing air from a takeoff on the S-tunnel.  The fourth
>engine was an RR engine called the RB162; it was a
>5,250 lb. thrust engine.  (I'm guessing that it was a small
>military engine.)  Apparently, it was only used for takeoff,
>and was shut down after reaching altitude.
>
>If I'm reading the book right (it's a little confusing), this
>was called the Super Trident 3B, and only two were
>ordered, both by CAAC.  There is a picture of one in flight.
>The tail looks like the rear of a late-'50s Cadillac.

The Trident 3B was a stretched (140 pax) version of the Trident 2, and
26 were built for British European Airways (BEA). BEA actually wanted
to buy 727-200s but the UK government vetoed the purchase, and the
Trident 3B was developed instead. All 3Bs had an RB162 booster in the
tail, allowing an increase of 14,500 lbs mtow or shortening the takeoff
roll by some 1800 ft.

Two Super 3Bs (3B-104) with increased fuel capacity were delivered to
CAAC China. CAAC also operated 33 Trident 2Es.

Total production of all Trident models was just 117. A handful may still
be in use by the Chinese Air Force.

Brian