Re: French 747 mishaps

From:         Pete Finlay <pete@meads.demon.co.uk>
Date:         31 Jul 96 12:29:41

In article <airliners.1996.1505@ohare.Chicago.COM>, MikeM727
<mikem727@aol.com> writes
>In article <airliners.1996.1354@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
>Arnold@reedycreek.stanford.edu (Arnold Tang) writes:
>
>>Curious--any 747 pilots out there--if an asymmetrical reverser condition
>>on landing, what is the standard recovery procedure?  Is it to mirror the
>>asymmetry by throttling only two engines, or by asymettrical throttling?
>
>I'm not sure about the 747's specific procedures.  However, on most
>aircraft, the pilot would just retard all throttles to idle.  There's not
>enough time to identify which engine is faulty, find the "mirror" engine,
>and then attempt to "cancel out" the asymmetry.

Hi there;
the procedure in British Airways is for the handling pilot to close the
throttles upon landing, the non-handling pilot then selects reverse
thrust. The Flight Engineer then ensures that all engine thrust
reversers have deployed correctly. If the Flight Engineer doesn't say
anything, the non-handling pilot then accelerates the engines in reverse
thrust. If, however, any of the reversers do not deploy, or refuse to
accelerate in reverse, the Flight Engineer calls 'Inboards only' or
'Outboards only', therefore ensuring that the aircraft benefits from
symetrical reverse thrust.

I'm not speaking on behalf of BA, just myself.

--
Pete Finlay
Boeing 747 S/E/O