Re: French 747 mishaps

From:         Artus_R@mediasoft.net (Richard Artus)
Date:         31 Jul 96 12:29:40

In article <airliners.1996.1505@ohare.Chicago.COM>, mikem727@aol.com
(MikeM727) wrote:

> In article <airliners.1996.1354@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
> Arnold@reedycreek.stanford.edu (Arnold Tang) writes:
>
> >Curious--any 747 pilots out there--if an asymmetrical reverser condition
> >on landing, what is the standard recovery procedure?  Is it to mirror the
> >asymmetry by throttling only two engines, or by asymettrical throttling?
>
> I'm not sure about the 747's specific procedures.  However, on most
> aircraft, the pilot would just retard all throttles to idle.  There's not
> enough time to identify which engine is faulty, find the "mirror" engine,
> and then attempt to "cancel out" the asymmetry.

  I was on the 747 up until last winter.  Sometimes we'd fly with one
reverser disabled by maintenance.  The log book would instruct us to use
symetrical reverse on landing.  Or as you said above, mirrored!
  On the 727 if a reverser failed on touch down I'd just use the other two
that remained, however with a little less thrust then normal incase of
adverse yawing caused by the asymmetry!

Dick Artus