307 Stratoliner and Dash 80

From:         Ray Carini <rcarini@halcyon.com>
Date:         06 Feb 96 14:15:47

The Boeing News on Friday, January 26, 1996 had a nice article
about the the 307 Stratoliner and the 367-80 that I thought would
be of interest to the group.  There were 6 nice color photos which,
if I had my web page up and running, I would have scanned and
displayed them.  The captions with the photos are quite informative
and I'll post these as separte articles.  These are reprinted here
with the permission of the Boeing News.

-- Ray

                          MOVING HISTORY
    Looking back marks time and place, and it offers perspective...

                           by Rick Roff
                       Boeing News, Seattle

    There are few defining products of aviation history that stand
out as significatn in this century.
    Two airplanes that fit the category, the Boeing 307 Stratoliner
and the Boeing Model 367-80 -- the prototype of the 707 -- both
owned by the Smithsonian, were towed into the safe, dry confies of
the Plant II factory in Seattle last weekend.
    The event itself was significant.  It was the first time any
aircraft have been moved across East Marginal Way South at Plant II
since 1958, when the last Seattle-built B-52F Stratofortress rolled
out and was towed from the factory to the Boeing flight line.
    The four-propeller-powered Stratoliner, although only 10 were
built, is best known for being the world's first high-altitude
airliner capable of pressurized flight.  The Dash 80 was the first
jet-powered commercial airplane ever built in the United States and
the forerunner for The Boeing Company's current family of aricraft.
    For the Stratoliner, the move Saturday actually was a return
home.  It was the last of 10 307s built at Plant II and the last of
three delivered in 1940 to Pan American Airways, which named the
aircraft Clipper Flying Cloud.
    It is in Bay 2 of the 2-40 building, where final assembly of
307s took place almost 60 years ago.
    "It is a rare moment to see an airplane come full circle and
return to the very location it was manufactured," said Mark Kempton
who was involved in getting the 207 back to Seattle and is in charge
of its refurbishment.
    "It looks right at home."
    The aircraft is in "miraculous" condition.  After a number of
ownerships throughout the years, it was "rescued" from a near fateful
demise in the late 1960s when it was sold to a company that almost
used it for crop-dusting activity -- the chemicals from which could
have corroded the aircraft.
    It was saved in a trade to the National Air and Space Museum in
1972 for a Lockheed Constellation, and ended up on display at the
Pima Air Museum in the Arizona desert.
    On June 1, 1994, the Clipper Flying Cloud was flown to Seattle's
Boeing Field, where it was kept in temporary storage.  A three-year
refurbishing program will return the aircraft to its 1940 appearance.
    Last fall, the airplane was stripped of its old paint and a test
polishing was conducted.  When complete the aircraft will have a new
interior, thanks to Pan Am retirees, and all four engines will have
been rebuild or overhauled.
    The Dash 80 was owned by Boeing until 1972, when it was donated
to the National Air and Space Museum and given temporary residence
at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Arizona.
    For the Boeing Company's 75th anniversary, the aircraft was flown
to Seattle where it was refurbished, stripped and repainted.
    The future for the 307 and Dash 80 remains to be seen.  Both
were planned for display at the Smithsonian, but they eventually could
end up in permanent display in a new wing now being planned at the
Museum of Flight.
    In the meantime, the aircraft can be seen in Bays 2 and 3 of the
2-40 building at Plant II.