From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)
Date:         30 Jul 96 01:33:01

In article <airliners.1996.1433@ohare.Chicago.COM> Don Stokes (don@rata.vuw.ac.nz) wrote:

> True, but that doesn't explain why the A3XX could be extended to 600-700
> pax when the 747-600 would be limited to 550 pax, as per Andrew Chuang's
> claim.

I'd better make myself clear, because I'm certainly not qualified to make
the above claim.  In my original post, I meant to say Boeing could not
grow the B747 beyond the -600 without spending a lot of money.  The
B747-500X/600X program will cost significantly less than the A3XX-100/200.
However, if Boeing is forced to develop a derivative or a new model to
compete with the A3XX-200, then the cost advantage will no longer exist.
Airbus felt that they could not leave the high-end market to Boeing
alone.  Then, my question is will Boeing feel comfortable leaving the
over-600-seat market to Airbus?

--
  H Andrew Chuang (chuanga@cris.com)