Re: Detection of clear air turbulence

From:         Michael Page <map@hal.maths.monash.edu.au>
Date:         29 Jul 96 13:24:40

RD Rick wrote:

> brumstik@interaccess.com (broomstick) writes:
> >
> >Southwest Airlines has never crashed either, after several decades of
> >operation.  It's the only American airline with no crashes.
>
> Lessee, there's also:
>
> America West
> Frontier (the new one; maybe the old one too)
> Reno Air
> Midway (the new one; maybe the old one too)
> Western Pacific
> etc.

Returning to the original posting, the difference may be here that
QANTAS has been around for a long time and flown a lot of miles.
It recently celebrated its *75th* anniversary.  Compass in Australia
never crashed either, but it only existed for about a year!

I recall, though, that QANTAS's actual claim is that they have never
lost a life through an accident *in the jet age*.  I think they lost
a small plane in the Snowy mountains in the 50s, or somesuch.

Michael

--
Michael Page ---------------------- Mailto:map@hal.maths.monash.edu.au
Mathematics Department --------------- Phone/Fax: +61 3 9905 4486/3870