Re: Boeing Pronunciation

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         29 Jul 96 13:24:40

In article <airliners.1996.1381@ohare.Chicago.COM>, McElravy
<cpa1@penn.com> wrote:

> This may sound like a really dumb question, but I like to be on top of
> things. In the computer world, technical words have specific
> pronunciations. No where is it written that 80486 is pronounced
> "eighty-four-eighty-six." In the aviation world I wonder how you say the
> names of the planes in the Boeing fleet?

The OFFICIAL pronunciation of our airplane family is: Seven-Oh-Seven,
Seven-One-Seven, Seven-Two-Seven, Seven-Three-Seven, Seven-Four-Seven,
Seven-Five-Seven, Seven-Six-Seven, Seven-Seven-Seven, and
Seven-Eight-Seven (you all can speculate about that one for awhile).
However, most of us say Triple-Seven instead of Seven-Seven-Seven.  The
other exception is the Seven-Seventeen, but that airplane (the KC-135) is
amost never referred to by its Boeing designation.  These are the correct
pronunciations of the names, and we occasionallay have to have our people
re-take something on a video if they get it wrong.  Seven-fifty-seven is a
no-no (to us, anyway).

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane