Re: Boeing Pronunciation

From:         Michael.F.Lechnar@Boeing.com
Date:         29 Jul 96 13:24:39

In article <airliners.1996.1381@ohare.Chicago.COM> McElravy <cpa1@penn.com> writes:
>This may sound like a really dumb question, but I like to be on top of
>things. In the computer world, technical words have specific
>pronunciations. No where is it written that 80486 is pronounced
>"eighty-four-eighty-six." In the aviation world I wonder how you say the
>names of the planes in the Boeing fleet?

After 18 years of hearing the "Boeing Way" of pronunciation, "seven-
four-seven", it sends me up the walls to hear CNN say "seven-fourty-
seven".  Interestingly, the 707 is not "seven-zero-seven" but "seven-
oh-seven".  Frequently we just drop the leading seven and just say
"four-seven".  Regarding the 777, if you listen to any official Boeing
spokesman, you will usually hear "seven-seven-seven".  I think most of
us use "triple-seven" in everyday useage.  Our local media generally
uses the offical pronunciation as well.

Mike Lechnar
Aircraft Performance Engineer
"If I was speaking for Boeing, I wouldn't be doing it here."