Re: TWA flight 800 and the missile theory

From:         tsimonds@world.std.com (Tom Simonds)
Date:         29 Jul 96 13:24:38

timo.niroma@tilmari.pp.fi (Timo Niroma) writes:

>>A popular theory for the crash of TWA flight 800 seems to be that it
>>was shot down using a missile (a Stinger?) from a hand-held launcher,

I think simple logic favors the sea-launched missile theory. For one
thing, if you were going to plant a bomb on a plane, you'd set it to go
off several hours into the flight. Otherwise, delays on the ground could
result in your bomb going off on the runway.

The fact that Flight 800 was attacked just after takeoff, over the water,
strongly points to a ship-launched SAM. Ground launching from NY would be
impossible. To densly populated. You'd be seen by someone. But a boat
would provide the perfect platform for launching a missile.

Even tho' investigators are leaning toward an on-board device, I vote for
the missile theory...