Re: AA965 proves Airbus bashers deadly wrong

From:         cp@panix.com (Charles Platt)
Date:         06 Feb 96 14:15:45

Jean-Francois Bosc (bosc@perige.eis.enac.dgac.fr) wrote:
> Still nobody suggests that the driver should keep total control on braking
> power, because only a few people (probably only race pilots, and not all
> of them) are able to apply optimal braking in an emergency situation ...

I love these all-purpose sweeping statements. If "nobody suggests..." I
guess that means I must be a nobody, because *I* certainly prefer the
option to brake creatively in slippery conditions. Under some
circumstances it may even be useful to lock the rear wheels. (In Britain,
where I grew up, this was known as a "handbrake turn," since the car will
tend to rotate if the rear wheels lock, and this effect could be produced
by grabbing the handbrake. The same system was used by Southern
bootleggers during prohibition, when they were confronted by oncoming law
enforcement and needed to turn around and flee as fast as possible.)

True, such techniques are beyond the experience or needs of most drivers.
But if driver education was as rigorous as pilot training, and focused as
fully on emergency situations (including practice time in simulators), you
might find a lot of drivers preferring the option to override ABS, and for
very good reasons.
Charles Platt                                   cp@panix.com