Re: TWA 747 crash - flight 800 (JFK-CDG)

From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>
Date:         29 Jul 96 02:29:41

Andy Tompson <afbt@llnl.gov> asks on Sun Jul 21 21:47:17 1996:-

> I keep thinking about someone stuffing something in the landing
> gear area while on the ground, but do we need more speculation?

Perhaps not, but would someone care to comment on the following?

1. It couldn't have been a bomb with a timer, since the aircraft
   was delayed on the ground for an hour before take-off, and it
   would have exploded on the runway.

2. Exception to 1. is that a bomb with a timer was loaded at Athens,
   but with a *very* long time set to detonation. Again, that means
   that the attacker either did not care when it blew up, or set
   the timer for the mid-ocean cruise, and the delay meant that it
   exploded a few minutes after take-off.

3. If a bomb with a barometric detonator was loaded at New York,
   why did it not explode before 13,000 odd feet, if it was in a
   baggage hold maintained at the same pressure as the cabin,
   i.e., equivalent to 5,000 feet altitude?

4. If it was a bomb, that (IMHO) leaves us with a barometrically
   detonated device stuffed into the landing gear or attached
   somewhere outside the pressurised cabin/baggage hold at NY
   (or perhaps a device detonated by radio signal?).

Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability, City University, Northampton
Square, London EC1V 0HB, UK. Tel: +44 (171) 477-8422, Fax: +44 (171) 477-8585
E-mail: p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk