Re: Some Turbofan Questions

From:         Graham Glen <Graham@irving.demon.co.uk>
Date:         29 Jul 96 02:29:40

In article <airliners.1996.1342@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Don Stokes
<Don.Stokes@vuw.ac.nz> writes
>Graham@irving.demon.co.uk writes:

>>Just for the sake of completeness, Comets started life with DH Goblin
>>engines.
>
>Huh?  At least by the time of the Comet 1 crashes, Comet 1s had de
>Havilland Ghost engines (although the airlines wanted the more powerful
>RR engines).

Your quite right, I'm sorry I was going from memory rather than
checking. Series 1 & 2S Comets had Ghosts.

>I don't believe the preferred engies were Conways -- they didn't turn up
>until the 707 era.  The RR engines proposed for for the Comet 1 were pure
>turbojets like the Ghosts; Conways are fans.
>I'm not sure about the Comet 4; they may have had Conways.

No, they had Avons as well. Mk 117 (7,300lb st) for the series 2 Comets,
Mark 502 (10,000lb st) for series 3 and Mark 524 (10,500lb st) for
series 4. (I did check this time!)

Graham
--
Graham Glen     graham@irving.demon.co.uk
".. and it always was possible to measure the distance between so-called