Re: Delta Flt 1288

From:         "David K. Cornutt" <cornutt@hiwaay.net>
Date:         29 Jul 96 02:29:39

In article <airliners.1996.1221@ohare.Chicago.COM> Karl Swartz,
kls@ohare.Chicago.COM writes:
>I'd be very surprised to see any airline willing to operate a type
>with two different engines on the same airframe.  The maintenance
>folks would be incredibly irritated by such a monster!

I have a reference that mentions that one version of the
De Havilland Trident was built with two different types of
engines.  (The Trident was a three-engined plane configured
the same as a 727.)  Apparently, De Havilland wanted to
create a version with higher takeoff weights, so they took
the Trident Three, which used RR Spey engines, and perched
a fourth "booster" engine on top of the center engine,
drawing air from a takeoff on the S-tunnel.  The fourth
engine was an RR engine called the RB162; it was a
5,250 lb. thrust engine.  (I'm guessing that it was a small
military engine.)  Apparently, it was only used for takeoff,
and was shut down after reaching altitude.

If I'm reading the book right (it's a little confusing), this
was called the Super Trident 3B, and only two were
ordered, both by CAAC.  There is a picture of one in flight.
The tail looks like the rear of a late-'50s Cadillac.

---
David K. Cornutt, Residentially Engineered, Huntsville, AL
email: cornutt@hiwaay.net
I'm a rocket scientist.  Don't tell me what TV I must see.