Re: Delta Flt 1288

From:         "David K. Cornutt" <cornutt@hiwaay.net>
Date:         29 Jul 96 02:29:39

In article <airliners.1996.1355@ohare.Chicago.COM> Philippe DEPONDT,
dep@ccr.jussieu.fr writes:
>Unlikely.  In the Airbus venture, I believe Dassault is only a sub-contractor
>to Aerospatiale.
>By the way, the Mercure was a flop since the only compagny ever to use it
>was Air Inter. The last Mercure was removed from service last year.

Was it that recently?  I would have thought these would have been
retired years ago.  Then again, this is Air Inter we're talking about...

According to my reference (_Modern Commercial Aircraft_, 1987 edition,
Salamander Books), Dassault built 12 of these, with the first production
unit (of 10) being delivered to Air Inter in 1974.  One of the two
prototype units was later brought up to production standard, making
a total of 11 that went into service.  You are correct in that Air Inter
was the only airline that ever ordered them.

The cabin is single-aisle; it looks to be a bit longer than the average
737.  According to the book, a typical cabin layout had 12 first-
class passengers seated 2/2, and 108 tourist seats configured 3/3
across the aisle.  The range with max payload, cruising at Mach 0.78,
was only 600 nautical miles, which is probably what kept Dassault
from being able to sell them anywhere else.

The book has a picture of one in action somewhere in France, flying
over on ancient Roman viaduct spanning a river.  Makes me wish I
had a scanner.

---
David K. Cornutt, Residentially Engineered, Huntsville, AL
email: cornutt@hiwaay.net
I'm a rocket scientist.  Don't tell me what TV I must see.