Re: Old NW DC-9's; and seating

From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)
Date:         29 Jul 96 02:29:34

In <airliners.1996.1400@ohare.Chicago.COM> McElravy <cpa1@penn.com>
writes:
>In an upcoming trip to Colorado Springs from Austin (not my home) I am
>flying Northwest (for the first time actually). The itinerary that the
>travel agency printed says the aircraft is a DC-9, but I wonder if it
might>actually be an MD-80

>...MD-80 I'm farther from the engine and less likely to be deafened!!

The Official Airline Guide (OAG) lists all aircraft with a 3 character
code.  As I remember, a D9S is a DC-9 Short, or DC9-15.  That plane is
an overgrown fighter with lots of power and maneuverability.

I think the code for MD-80 is D80.  Ask your travel agent for all the
codes.

If you can't get moved forward at this late date, ask at the gate.
They may have no-shows.  If you are able-bodied, ask for the exit row,
as then you get extra legroom.  Many, if not most, airlines will not
pre-assign the exit row until they can see you standing on your own at
the gate.  My Alaska A/L MVP Frequent Flyer account allows me to
reserve the exit row over the phone, because they know me.

I agree about the bad seats in the rear.  IMO, there should be not
seats in that area, just galleys and toilets.  In fact, that area
assuredly exceeds OSHA limits for noise without ear protection.
I have measured up to 110 dbA back there, while the DC-9 and MD-80 are
extremely quiet forward of the wing, as low as 70 dba in cruise.

RD