Re: TWA flight 800 and the missile theory

From:         Jan-Peter Munk <munk@DBresearch-berlin.de>
Date:         29 Jul 96 02:29:34

Karl Swartz wrote:

> Perhaps the Soviet air-to-air missiles are so poor that they can't
> match the punch of a hand-held Stinger, or maybe you just need a
> really lucky shot to trigger an instant fireball.

A couple of years ago I visited a German Air Force base, where some
MiG-29 Fighter were operated. These Fighter belonged to the former East
German Air Force. In this context we were told that it is a special
feature of Soviet/Russian air-to-air missiles that they can rip off a
"substantial portion of the wing [kls]". So enemy pilots should have a
chance to get escaped out of their cockpits using their emergency launch
seats...

--
Jan-Peter Munk			Daimler-Benz AG
				Research and Technology