Re: What is the small hole in the window?

From: (Chris Dahler)
Organization: Internet Global Services, Inc.
Date:         29 Jul 96 02:29:32 
References:   1
Next article
View raw article
  or MIME structure

In article <airliners.1996.1416@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
drranu@holly.ACNS.ColoState.EDU says...
> Every commercial plane I have been in, the windows have a small,
> what looks like a hole (or metal insert), at the bottom of it.
> It is the window pane between the inner plexiglass one and the
> outer pane.  What is this thing, and why is it there?

It's a metal insert between the two panes whose primary purpose is
just to keep the panes apart should one of them try to warp.