From:         Michael Leduc <mikel@alcor.concordia.ca>
Date:         26 Jul 96 10:59:14
Followups:    1 2 3

Don Stokes wrote:
> Why is this?  I thought Boeing was designing a new wing for the B747-500
> and -600, since the existing B747 wing is pretty much at its limits on
> the -400.  I would have thought that the aircraft could be stretched
> further if the wing was up to the job.
>
> Experience says that if there's one thing Boeing knows best about
> building jet transports it's getting the wing right.

That may be true, but one must not extend the wing too much.  The
maximum wing span has just about been reached for commercial aircraft,
for the time being.  Extending the wing size would mean new airport
terminal design for nose-in-gate positioning or parking the aircraft
out on an apron and using shuttle busses.

Shuttle busses are used at some airports but this only adds to the
passenger inconvenience.