Re: interesting landing - runway switch at 800ft

From:         John Thomson <John@jthomson.demon.co.uk>
Date:         22 Jul 96 01:53:12

In article <airliners.1996.1151@ohare.Chicago.COM> entmlf@staffs.ac.uk  writes:

> Hi
>
> I recently landed at Frankfurt in an A320, and had been
> allowed to sit in the cocpit.   There are two parallel
> runways, and we were cleared to land on the left one.
> At about 800 ft, the pilot banked to the right,
> and lined up with the right hand runway.  A good
> landing followed.

I remember in the 1970's after some kind of terrorist
activities, some very wild rides into Frankfort. This would
have been late in the 70's, I used to go there once or twice a
week, usually with Lufthansa, and I remember quite steep
banks & turns over the local woods, this was supposed to make it
difficult for the terrorists to aim their weapons. Does anyone else
remember this, and what would the flight rules have been ?

--
John Thomson