RE: Old NW DC-9's

From:         McElravy <cpa1@penn.com>
Date:         22 Jul 96 01:53:10
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

This is off the thread, but on the topic of NWA DC-9s. I submitted this
same question to the AIRLINE mailing list but for some reason the moderator
didn't approve it, so I'm still left wondering.

In an upcoming trip to Colorado Springs from Austin (not my home) I am
flying Northwest (for the first time actually). The itinerary that the
travel agency printed says the aircraft is a DC-9, but I wonder if it might
actually be an MD-80 (technically a DC-9, though). On the NWA website
(www.nwa.com/) I brought up the itinerary for my flight (779, I think) and
the aircraft code is D9S. I'm wondering if the S is for "super" as in "DC-9
Super 82" (aka MD-82.) NWA has quite a number of different DC-9 makes and
I've seen the code DC9 on the web page too, so I'm pretty sure they are
putting me on an MD-82 (one of the ugliest birds in the sky.) I'm hoping it
_is_ an MD-82 because on the DC-9-10 seating chart I looked at my seat is
in the extreme rear, noise central and the MD-82 should be longer, meaning
I'm farther from the engine and less likely to be deafened!!

In short, just what kind of plane are they putting me on? Any help would be
great, but I'm leaving on the 24th so obviously I'd like to know before
then.

						Evan McElravy
						cpa1@penn.com