Re: TWA flight 800 and the missile theory

From:         timo.niroma@tilmari.pp.fi (Timo Niroma)
Date:         22 Jul 96 01:53:08
Followups:    1 2 3

In article <airliners.1996.1380@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) says:

>A popular theory for the crash of TWA flight 800 seems to be that it
>was shot down using a missile (a Stinger?) from a hand-held launcher,
>either launched from short (allegedly out of range) or from a boat.
>Reports of a streak in the sky and a radar blip merging with TW 800
>are used to support this notion, though the military says the blip was
>a momentary electronic phantom and that the 747 was both too high and
>too far off shore to be within range of such a missile.
>(cuts)

All I have heard in Finnish news,
1. the radar echo
2. one pilot seeing some outside the plabe before the explosion
3. the plane crashing into two peaces
4. the pilot saying, that there eas first a small explosion and then a
bigger one
5. a possible mayday but not much else

point in my opinion to one direction: a meteorite.

As NASA recently announced the amount of meteorites pouring into our
atmosphere is grossly underestimated.

And they have hit cars, they have hit houses, here in Finland, and there
in US.

I think it's only a question of time when one hits an aeroplane.

The danger is even bigger than for a car, because there is much less
atmosphere above an aeroplain to break up an meteorite and still they
sometimes reach the ground.

I suggest this only because this is seldom taken as a real possibility as
it should.

Timo Niroma

an amateur astronomer