A3XX vs B747-600 (was: Airbus lawsuit coming?)

From:         don@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Don Stokes)
Date:         21 Jul 96 13:29:33

H Andrew Chuang <Chuanga@cris.com> wrote:
>One last comment concerning the A3XX.  I used to think it was unwise for
>Airbus to spend US$8-12 billion on the A3XX to compete with the B747X.  Now,
>I'm not sure about it.  The Airbus design is capable of being stretched to
>carry some 600-700 passengers.  I doubt the Boeing can do anything further
>than the 550-passenger B747-600.

Why is this?  I thought Boeing was designing a new wing for the B747-500
and -600, since the existing B747 wing is pretty much at its limits on
the -400.  I would have thought that the aircraft could be stretched
further if the wing was up to the job.

Experience says that if there's one thing Boeing knows best about
building jet transports it's getting the wing right.

--
Don Stokes, Network Manager, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
don@vuw.ac.nz(work) don@zl2tnm.gen.nz(home) +64 4 495-5052 Fax+64 4 471-5386