Re: aerial re-fuelling

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         20 Jul 96 15:59:09

In article <airliners.1996.1333@ohare.Chicago.COM> Bill Hensley <Bill_Hensley@smtp.rc.trw.com> writes:
>Gerard Foley wrote:
>>    I'm surprised.  I would think a tanker would have additional tankage
>> to accomodate a fuel weight equal to the passenger plus cargo weight
>> of the equivalent airliner type.
>
>Gerry, you are correct.  Both U.S. primary refueling assets, KC-135s and KC-10s,
>use auxillary fuel tanks that are installed into what would be the lower lobe
>cargo areas.  The deck is still available for cargo.  A -135 can pass up to
>120,000 lbs of gas, and a KC-10 up to 356,000 lbs.

I stand corrected!  Going to my sources reveals an underfloor capacity of
about 97000 lbs on the KC-135A, with 81,000 lbs for the wing tanks.
Refueling load is normally drawn from the underfloor tanks and the wing
tanks normally used for the airplane, although supplies can be varied.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av