Re: O'Hare -> Hong Kong Non-Stop..Going GOOD!!!

From:         alvinlaw@netcom.com (Alvin Law)
Date:         20 Jul 96 15:59:08

In article <airliners.1996.1323@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

> >Flight 896 left HKG ... weighing 847,400 lbs.
> >Flight 895 left ORD ... weighed 842,000 lbs. and had 384,500 lbs. of fuel
>
> Interesting that both were well short of MGTOW, which was 875,000 the
> last time I checked on a UA 747-400.  A full load of fuel, though, or
> very close -- a rather dated reference I found claims a 747-400 has a
> fuel capacity of about 52,800 gallons.  At a rough value of 7 lbs per
> gallon, that would be 369,600 lbs.  Obviously either additional fuel
> tanks have been added or 7 lbs/gal is low (or both).

When I flew UA 835/836 two weeks ago, I had a lengthy conversation
with one of the flight attendants who seemed to be quite knowledgable.
One of the topics of discussion was this new flight.  He mentioned
that the low density B747-400s will be used.  Also, UA 895/896 will
not carry any air-freight cargo.

The real test, IMHO, will be this coming winter when the strong jet stream
will push the flight time up above 17 hours.