Re: French 747 mishaps

From:         Arnold@reedycreek.stanford.edu (Arnold Tang)
Date:         20 Jul 96 15:56:07

In article <airliners.1996.1285@ohare.Chicago.COM>, turbulence1
<chartr1@hermes.univ-poitiers.fr> wrote:

> What i know about AF747 mishaps in GIG is that it has something to do with the
> reverse.

Curious--any 747 pilots out there--if an asymmetrical reverser condition on
landing, what is the standard recovery procedure?  Is it to mirror the
asymmetry by throttling only two engines, or by asymettrical throttling?

A pilot friend reminds me that asymmetrical thrust on takeoff and landing
is absolutely deadly.  I didn't know the lost AF747 was possibly a result
of thrust asymmetry; it sounds a lot more serious than earlier descriptions
on the net as a mere overrun.