Re: stage III noise limitations

From:         D.P.Rhodes@lboro.ac.uk (Darren Rhodes)
Date:         20 Jul 96 15:56:07

On 14 Jul 96 22:43:23 , Daan Vlaskamp <vlaskamp@cuci.nl> wrote:

>Could anyone give me more information on the coming "Stage III noise
>limitations" by ICAO ? (These frequently pop up in environmental discussions
>concerning our local airport). I would like to know which types would not be
>allowed anymore (which have to be modified/hushkitted/rendered out of
>service). I looked at the ICAO website but found no info. Does anyone know
>of a document somewhere on the Net ?

Stage 3 or Chapter 3 already exists and is a requirement for all
aircraft built on or after 6 October 1977. The following types
therefore meet these standards:

Airbus A300-600
Airbus A310
Airbus A320
Airbus A330
Airbus A340

Boeing 737-300/400/500
Boeing 747-300/400
Boeing 757
Boeing 767
Boeing 777

McD MD-80
McD MD-11
McD MD-95

The above list is an example, it is not complete.

The noise is measured at three reference points:

Approach Reference Point: 2000m from the threshold along the extended
runway-centre line. Assuming a 3° glide slope orignating from a point
300m past the threshold, this gives an aircraft height of 120m above
the measuring point.

Max level:

105EPNdB for MTOW >280,000kg decreasing linearly with logarithmic MTOW
to 98EPNdB for MTOW of 35,000kg, below which it stays constant.

Lateral Reference Point: The point on a line parallel to and 450m from
the runway centre-line, where the noise level is a maximum during
take-off.

Max level:

103EPNdB for  MTOW >400,00kg decreasing linearly with logarithmic MTOW
to 94EPNdB for MTOW of 35,000kg, below which it stays constant.

Flyover Reference Point: The point on the extended centre line of the
runway and at a distance 6.5km from the start of roll.

Max level:

2 Engines or less:

101EPNdB for  MTOW >385,00kg decreasing linearly with logarithmic MTOW
at a rate of 4EPNdB per halving of mass to 89EPNdB, after which it
stays constant.

3 Engines:

104EPNdB for  MTOW >385,00kg decreasing linearly with logarithmic MTOW
at a rate of 4EPNdB per halving of mass to 89EPNdB, after which it
stays constant.

4 Engines:

106EPNdB for  MTOW >385,00kg decreasing linearly with logarithmic MTOW
at a rate of 4EPNdB per halving of mass to 89EPNdB, after which it
stays constant.

ICAO plans to introduce a rule to ban all Stage 2 aircraft operated
regardless of age in 2002. This is why many airlines, particularly US
are either replacing DC-9/Boeing 707/727/737-200 type aircraft, or
re-engining, or hush-kitting them, in preparation for 2002.
Re-engining is expensive and on an old airframe or questionable value.
Hush-kitting is cheaper, but reduces max thrust and often increases
fuel consumption and emissions produced.

Now, I have deliberately left off some new aircraft from the above
list which come into a new category. ICAO iand the industry is
currently discussing stricter noise limits than Stage 3. These will
not be as severe as the change from Stage 1 to 2, and have therefore
been nicknamed 'Stage 3.5'. The current estimate is that they will be
Stage 3 minus 1-3 EPNdB at each or the three measuring points.

Currently the MD-90, Boeing 737-600/700/800 and  Boeing 777 will meet
these proposed standards. Indeed all new aircraft on the drawing
boards are considering Stage 3.5 in the design process.

Apologies to the group for the long discussion!