Re: B757 "Heavy Jet"?

From:         AT3@reedycreek.stanford.edu (Arnold Tang)
Date:         20 Jul 96 15:56:06

>...we turned
> onto the centerline about the time the previous plane rotated, and IMMEDIATELY
> began accelerating on our own roll. The last time I saw the preceeding 727, it
> still had the main gear on the ground after rotating, so we were undoubtedly
> rolling before the preceeding A/C was off the runway

I have experienced something like this at DFW, too.  I've watched
pushes at DFW, and have seen two narrowbody jetliners taking off
seemingly too close.  I have noticed that the first aircraft seems
to rotate late, while the second aircraft rotates early, and I
also recall the first plane goes straight out and then turns,
while the second makes an immediate and very steep turnout.

Is this some sort of takeoff protocol to decrease takeoff intervals?

-A